Tuesday, March 8, 2016

On Cultural Differences

They always tell you to explore a new culture when you’re abroad, and India is no different.  The differences I noticed in Germany were always much more subtle because Germany is a Western country while the ones I notice here tend to be much more stark and often frustrating.  I constantly find myself murmuring to myself, that just doesn’t make sense!  But of course it doesn’t make sense!  It’s not supposed to make sense to me because it’s not my culture.

Nevertheless, I was starting to get very frustrated with the culture here until I sort of had an epiphany yesterday when our program director said something to the effect of, “The U.S. is a practical culture whereas India’s is relationally based.”  This beautifully sums up one of those differences that just don’t make sense to me.

India isn’t exactly known for its efficiency, just try going into any government office here.  Nor is there much adherence to schedules.  Timetables can always be adjusted; any many things are either canceled or moved around at the last minute.  It’s not practical and often frustrating for me.

What it lacks in practicality and efficiency however, India makes up for in its relationships.  Whenever I see a professor about a question or problem with the homework, he will immediately drop what he’s doing and invite me to chat with him for however long it takes while we sip on some tea.  Likewise, many of the Indians I meet immediately offer their phone number and tell me to call them if I ever have a problem.


This is all because they care more about investing time in each other than adhering to some sort of timetable.  Your relationships with those around you are the most important.  Is it efficient? No.  But should quality relationships be sacrificed for the sake of a schedule?  I’m sure I wouldn’t be nearly as close with my professors here if I didn’t sit and chat with them each time we met.

No comments:

Post a Comment